Friday, June 22, 2007

Ladakh Calling

Its my second day in Leh. God! This place is beautiful! Landed at the Leh airport on the 21st morning at 7 am and gosh I woke up just before landing to witness what easily is a nature at its best. The airstrip is surrounded by beautiful mountains, someof which are snowclad. I hav'nt been to a place with temperatures below 10 degress in some time now and it felt good.

The airport though is quite a small tin shed, slightly bigger than the airport at Port Blair (of what i remember since my time in A&N islands in '92). Got to Hotel Rafica, that's where I am put up by 7:30 ish and instantly i felt slight breathlessness which I was prepared for. Though headache is not something I anticipated. Its the second day, yet this uneasiness and heaviness of the head has not left me. The first day was spent entirely in my room, slept a lot, saw a bit of 'Pursuit' (I can watch this movie again and again). Ate light and drank tons of water. It's a must to survive your days in Ladakh with comfort.

Today, I finally got out of my hotel, went to the local market, did some shopping, people are sweet and speak good hindi. Met a man named Michael, who happens to be my taxi driver and guide on demand (his demand) ;-). He is amazing. Pretty much knows everyone around, got me into the Leh Palace after its closing hours and shared great anecdotes. I like him already. Have shot some great footage. Looking forward to viewing it when back.

Shopping is not bad actually. A lot of Thai-bangkok stuff and some tibetian jewllery which is quite fascinating.
Can't wait to get on floors. Looking to start shooting by the 25th, that is 3 more day. I think we are headed for something special, can just feel it! Looking forward to a memorable shoot which will make Leh all the more special...
JULLEY! (Namaste in Ladakhi)

No comments: