Thursday, March 8, 2007

Of new car and 'our' customs...

First of all...congratulations dude.. got a new car today! It's an aqua blue swift. Looks smashing, could'nt help smiling, when the guy at the petrol pump said, ' saab gadi ka colour mast hai'. Also the fact that I have'nt seen swift in this colour on the road yet, makes me love it all the more! Infact saw a girl on the pillion of a bike checking it out, was confused, is it me or the car...You see, I am just happy!

It was the first time, I took delivery of a car and what really got me in the entire handing over ceremony (quite elaborate) was the 'puja' of the car starting with aarti, breaking of the coconut, swastik on the engine, the works... Made me wonder, it's a car, not a family member coming home. But then again, I remembered the famous govinda song, 'It happens only in India'...Cnt imagine, this happening in any other part of the world. Imagine buying your brand new lexus in the united states with the priest handing over the car after his little prayer and saying, 'and Now you may drive the car'...(from 'now you may kiss the bride').

But then again, I liked the thought behind the ritual. To treat it like an extention to the family. To make sure it drives you safe and sound. and above all, help you prosper and grow! It also instills a sense of respect in your handling of the vehicle at some level. Whatever it is, the idea is sweet and makes the entire buying process more personal.

No comments: